Tuesday, January 23, 2007

You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks

I've mentioned our dog, Maggie, before, and told how the arthritis in her hips has caused her to no longer go down steps (she's 11). Because we live in a split-entry home, this is problematic. So, as my Christmas present this year, I just requested we build her a 'ramp' leading from our back deck, down to the back yard, so she could once again frolic in the grass, and sniff to her heart's content. Actually, Maggie hasn't frolicked for a long time... but it sounds so 'happy', doesn't it?

About 2 weeks ago, the ramp was finished! Did I mention that Maggie is a goofy Sheep Dog?? True to form, she was afraid of the new ramp and wouldn't go down to frolicdom. So, we began to 'teach' her how to do it. This involved putting her on a leash, and forcing her to go down. That worked. :) But, as you may have already guessed, goofy Maggie would not go back up the ramp. So, we literally had to coerce her by pulling her up, and then rewarding her when she came back to the kitchen, with a 'doggie treat' and a litany of praise. After 2 days, she was cooperating, and last week, she actually went down, and back up, all on her own! ...followed, of course, by a 'doggie treat', and a litany of praise. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! Maybe there's still a chance to get her on Letterman!

You may remember that I had complained about her sleeping patterns, or lack thereof, back in December. Well, since she's been back to exploring the yard, she's been sleeping at night again. Until last night. :# Around 1:00 A.M., she started the barking and pacing routine. I tried the old, 'lie down' command, but that's never worked, so I sat in the living room, hoping she'd lie down and go to sleep. When she went to the door leading to the deck and barked, I thought, 'Oh good, she just needs to go out...', so I opened the door to accomodate her. She walked out, did a head-fake at the ramp, turned around and walked right back into the kitchen, awaiting her 'doggy treat' and litany of praise, of course. I tried to ignore her, because I didn't want to reward her faux nature-walk. But, she kept barking, and cocking her head... so I gave in. I gave her the 'doggy treat' to shut her up.

It could've been my imagination, I know, or maybe the glimmer of moonlight in the darkened kitchen, but I swear she winked at me! She was no doubt thinking... ' You CAN teach an old people new tricks!' ;)

No comments: