Sunday, January 7, 2007

The Horse and His Girl


Several years ago, our family took a vacation to Colorado. There are many fun and funny memories of that trip but the one I remember as most personally significant was that I was acutely aware of God's provision and providence. It was a trip that came together at the last minute, with details 'falling into place' and things happening as 'coincidence', seemingly in direct response to my prayers. That made a very nice trip extra special to me, because I sensed His presence and His direct intervention in giving us a special gift and I knew that He was in control. There's a saying, "God is in the details", and I was experiencing this first hand.

One of the fun things we did was horseback riding at the Royal Gorge. Samantha was only six at the time, so we had to find a trail ride that would let her ride (most wouldn't take anyone under twelve). When I saw how big the horses were, I had second thoughts...she looked so small and helpless atop this huge, magnificent animal. The 'trail boss' assured me that she'd be 'fine'... her horse, Carl, was old, docile, and really couldn't see anymore anyway... annnnnnd, this was a good thing??? Because the trail was so narrow in places, we were going to be traveling in single file, with Carl in the middle, and he was so accustomed to the trail, he could do it in his sleep (and I think he actually did fall asleep a few times). Anyway, the point of this story is that the 'trail boss' told us that we were not to dismount our horse FOR ANY REASON. He told us that, while they did this every day, it was still a 'wilderness' and there was always the chance of unexpected 'wildlife', etc. crossing our path, and while we were on the horse, we'd be ...safe. My horse was the lead horse, which literally put me out of position to do anything to help or protect any of my children (ha!). The trail boss, and Bruce, were bringing up the rear, of course. As we started the trek, we quickly came onto a narrow trail with just enough width for the horses to pass through. We were going down rocky areas, sheer drops, that I would have been hard pressed to navigate on foot. And yet the horses seemed capable and knew exactly where to put their weight, and where to jump. The ride got wobbly sometimes; the trail got steep. I was talking to myself... what are we doing here??? I was praying.

I remembered this today as I was packing away the Christmas decorations. I was listening to a broadcast by Charles Stanley who was telling a similar story about a trail ride he took. Though he is an experienced rider, he recalled the importance of giving the horse free reign to take him through the steep, rocky places. When it got so dark that he couldn't see, he knew he had to trust his horse to find his footing and stay the path to get him home. I was reminded that I, too, had reached that point of trust on our trail ride. And, just as I trusted those horses, I must also trust God on the trail that I can't see, or the path that is too rocky for me to maneuver. I had to trust that day that my family would be 'safe'. Similarly, God knows where He is going, and as long as we don't 'get off' for any reason, he'll get us where he wants us to go. Once I got past the fear factor, the ride was fun, beautiful, exhilarating, and breathtaking. Once we began the trek, we were in it for the duration. Even now.

Acts 2:28 You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence.

No comments: