Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Doris Knew the Answer

When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother, what will I be?... Words from an old, old, old song (Que Sera, Sera) sung by Doris Day, popular when I was a little, little, little girl. I used to think I'd like to be an archaeologist. But, anything short of a Doctorate in Archaeology was pointless, and I didn't want to pursue that. So, I'm not an archaeologist, but it still absolutely fascinates me; I love my Archaeological Study Bible. I read an interesting article on CNN.com this morning describing a village recently unearthed near Stonehenge, dating to around 2600 BC (about 500 years before Abraham).

As a child, Samantha, too, had a vibrant interest in archeology, but then again, she also said she'd like to be a jazz singer in a piano bar. When Leah was little, she wanted to be a combination preacher-fireman-baton twirler. Ashley didn't care what she'd be... as long as she and her husband and her kids could all live with us. Forever. :}

Leah, so far, has hit closest to her childhood aspirations. She's in full time ministry, as Director of Children's Ministry at a church near here, and prior to KiDZ, she worked with middle school students. She CAN twirl a baton, but to my knowledge hasn't yet used that talent as part of her job description; she and sister Sam did wow the middle schoolers once with a board-breaking Karate demonstration, tho'. She's almost finished with a Masters in Communications, and has probably set aside that fireman thing, I hope.

Ashley discovered that she could use her analytical mind and actually get paid for it! When she chose to go to Virginia Tech, we figured she had outgrown that 'I'll never leave you' syndrome. She got her B.S. and M.S. in Statistics; Virginia Tech actually recruited her to do her graduate work there. She now enjoys a very interesting career as an Analyst. Really. And, I do believe she and husband Nate are quite happy NOT living with us.

Samantha is still in college, with a dual major in Communication and French, and she, too, amazes me. She is fulfilling that aspiration to sing,.. not in a piano bar, but in venues such as a campus coffee house, a Government Prayer Breakfast in Rwanda, and as part of the Women's Worship team at Grove City College. She does a killer rendition of At Last (à la Etta James), ...and maybe she will yet get to a 'dig' in Egypt.

No comments: