Tuesday, January 2, 2007

For God's Sake

This past weekend, my husband and I had the honor to pray with many people and to pray blessings over them in conjunction with our church's New Year's Blessing Service. In preparation for that, I was reviewing some of my favorite scriptures which I often incorporate when I 'remind' God of His promises. One of the most assuring aspects I cling to is that God cares about His reputation and honors His word. When King Hezekiah was ill and Isaiah told him he was about to die, Hezekiah prayed to the Lord, and said, "Remember, O Lord, how I have always tried to be faithful to you and to do what is pleasing in your sight." Hezekiah didn't beg God for healing, but reminded Him that he was His servant, His responsibility. Almost immediately, God spoke through Isaiah once more and said, "I have heard your prayer and seen your tears. I will heal you...and I will rescue you... I will do this to defend my honor and for the sake of my servant David." (2 Kgs 20:5,6 NLT) . And He did.

When faced with God's impending 'disowning' of the Israelites after their lack of trust and rejection of His command to enter the Promised land, Moses pleaded with God on their behalf by reminding Him that His reputation was at stake..."But what will the Egyptians think when they hear about it?...Now if you slaughter all these people, the nations that have heard of your fame will say 'The Lord was not able to bring them into the land he swore to give them...'" (Num. 14:13,15) . And tho' God still let them suffer the consequence of their actions, He didn't abandon them.

Psalm 89:16 says, "They rejoice all day long in your wonderful reputation.They exult in your righteousness." Psalm 138:2 says, "I praise your name for your unfailing love and faithfulness; for your promises are backed by all the honor of your name."

In Genesis 17:1, God calls Himself, El Shaddai... God Almighty. I know that I can trust Him to live up to His reputation.

No comments: