Sunday, January 14, 2007

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

I've been reading the book of Genesis this month. It's been living up to its name... every time I read it, something jumps out at me and new thoughts germinate in my little brain. The other day I was reading the account of the three 'men' who visit Abraham on their way to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. I noted that Abraham realized that he was in the presence of the Lord, and, he said... "If I have found favor in your eyes, my Lord, do not pass your servant by...let me get you something to eat (v.5). He didn't mean chips and salsa, or microwave pizza... He went to Sarah and said, "get some fine flour, knead it and bake some bread". Then he went to his herd, chose a calf, and had his servant prepare it. This wasn't a brief interlude. They are baking things, from scratch. Killing a calf and doing all that it takes to cook it. It took time. I was thinking to myself... Boy! If the Lord visited my tent, I'd hurry up and ask Him all those things I want to know, or ask Him for something. I wouldn't 'waste' all of that time cooking.

Then my mind fast-forwarded to Judges 6, in a similar scene with Gideon being visited by the Angel of the Lord (*theophany). He did the same thing... he said, "If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me. Please do not go away until I come back and bring my offering and set it before you." Then, Gideon went, and prepared a young goat, and baked some bread. (v.17-19). Again, a time consuming activity. Though, in this case, they'd already had their conversation, and this was part of Gideon's affirmation.

So I began to wonder what it was about these two cases that was nudging at me. What can I learn and apply from this? In both cases, the men had other encounters with God, either before or after this one. So, what made these scenarios different from those other times?
In these cases:
  • The Lord agreed to wait with them while they prepared their offering. He agreed to have fellowship with them, to eat their bread. Later He would reveal Himself as the Bread of Life.
  • Abraham & Gideon put forth time and effort to demonstrate the significance and honor due their Lord.
  • Both men greeted the Lord with hospitality. Hospitatlity was a major part of the culture. It was an expression of gratitude by sharing what God had given them.

In applying this to myself, I realized that all too often, I hurry my daily time with God, and I do a quick, 'Thanks, God... but how about this???' and I rush past that part about showing Him hospitality. I want to make sure I get all of those big requests in before I get interrupted by my thoughts about my day. And I miss the best part, ...the fellowship. Jesus is asking me to dinner and I'm offering "take-out" at a drive through window. I'm sorry to say that my thoughts are based upon what I can get, not what I can give. He says, “Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.Rev. 3:20

I welcome the fellowship. I will open the door, ...and I will even clean!

*Theophany- pre-incarnate physical appearance or personal manifestation of God to a person (Old Testament).

No comments: