Saturday, December 23, 2006

Last Minute Gifts

I've been busy for the past few days, and for the most part, have been away from my computer. In checking my email, I found my Inbox filled with messages from retailers assuring me that they are the source for all of my 'last minute gifts'. I read these last night just before I went to bed, and it's said that what you fall asleep thinking about is what you wake up thinking about. AND I did wake up this morning, with a shot of terrifying panic... Christmas is just two days away, and I still had not taken care of those... 'last... minute... gifts'!

I think many of us are problably motivated by the desire to provide gifts which will please the recipients. I am one of those people who also thinks of contingency plans, and I try to have things to fall back on, or a few gifts in reserve for those unexpected needs. I will NEVER again be faced with the tear-filled puppy-dog eyes of a five year old who can't play with her Talking Mickey Mouse because I forgot to buy the batteries (these were the good ol' days when NOTHIING was open on Christmas Day)! I hate to deal with disappointment, so, I deal with even more self-imposed pressure these last days before Christmas to think of every possible thing that can go wrong, and be ready to 'save the day'.

I was often charged with the task of buying the gifts for my kids on behalf of grandparents/ aunts/uncles who wanted them to have 'things they'd love'. Therefore, I always knew what gifts they were getting, and at the various stages of gift-opening, I was known to say... "If you didn't get what you were hoping for, wait a little while, you still may get it." I knew what was in store for them, because I had prepared it for them; I had things coordinated and in place which I knew would ultimately delight them. They love surprises!

I have found that God gives us what we need, when we need it. Just in the nick of perfect time, He pulls out the last minute gifts. He tells us what we need to know, when we need to know it, and usually not before that. He's the author of our novel, and it's full of surprises and it has a happy ending for those commited to His purpose and called by His name. He says that if we delight in Him, He'll write His desires on our hearts, and fulfill them, and that those who hope in Him will not be disappointed. He's got all the contingency plans covered. So, if you didn't get what you were hoping for, wait a little while, you still may get it. But regardless, know that He's not thwarted by broken toys or depleted batteries.

I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

Jer. 29:11 The Message

No comments: