Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A Big Baby

As Christmas approaches, I find myself wondering what it would have been like to hold the baby, Jesus, and to know that He was God. Mary and Joseph would have been familiar with the prophecies fortelling the coming Messiah, and Mary knew of the miraculous events surrounding His birth. But being as familiar with a baby as a mother can be, she still had to be in awe of Him, knowing Who He was. She saw Him as a baby, but knew He was much bigger than what she held in her arms.

I find myself speculating on what it would have been like to be one of His brothers or sisters, who apparently didn't know or believe He was God until after His death and resurrection. I wonder what went through their minds when they did finally realize it, and think... 'yeah, I always wondered why He was the best at Hide 'n Seek... He always KNEW where we were hiding!' I wonder if, looking back, they were ashamed at how they sometimes treated Him, or a little angry when He always forgave them when they took His things, instead of beating them up. I wonder if, while remembering things from their childhood, He seemed bigger in their eyes.

In the book, Prince Caspian, by C. S. Lewis (part of the Chronicles of Narnia, another one of my favorites), the four children return to Narnia, having grown up a little. While searching in the hills, Lucy sees Aslan (Jesus) once again, and she says to him, "Aslan, you're bigger!" And he answers her, "That is because you are older." Jack Hayford suggests that statement reflects the fact that the longer we know Him, and the more we learn of Him, the bigger He becomes in our eyes.

This goes contrary to what is normal... usually, things become smaller, less extraordinary in our eyes, the more familiar we become with them. But this isn't true of knowing God. The more I see Him at work in my life, and with each 'big' thing I see Him do, I feel smaller and He grows bigger, and bigger.

About a year ago, a woman in Brazil gave birth to a big baby ... a whopping 17 lbs. (ouch!), one of the biggest on record. Doctors believe that as he grows, he'll become more 'normal' in size, relative to his peers. Jesus was likely a normal size baby, and as He grew physically, He probably looked 'normal' relative to His peers. But as they learned more of Him, He became much bigger. When I think of Jesus as a baby, I think of my own spiritual state when I was 're-born'... I trusted Him for my salvation. As I have grown, my trust, faith and expectations of Him have grown. And, the more I know of Him, the bigger He becomes.

But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there. Aslan

No comments: