Friday, December 1, 2006

Deer Season


I see him just ahead... he's magnificent... an eight-point buck... we make eye contact... he's headed my way...

BANG!

There's white smoke everywhere... my chest hurts... a lot. Have I been shot???

A flashing red light... I can hardly make it out with all this smoke...what does it say??
Air Bag Air Bag Air Bag

That crazy deer ran right into my car! And of course, the front end collision caused the air bag to explode. Air bags deploy at the speed of 180 mph, filling the car's interior with a haze of corn starch.

BANG!
The glint of light flickering off the badge, ...the tapping on the window... "You OK, Ma'am? Boy, he got you good... you want him?? I had to shoot him because he wasn't killed in the collision, and he was running all over the highway! If you don't want him, I have a friend who will take him..."

Some people wait years to nail an eight-point buck. And I didn't even want one! And I was helpless to prevent it... he was cavorting down a four-lane highway... in my lane!

If you gasped a minute ago, fear not... this happened a few years ago, and the horrible air-bag-in-the-chest pain subsided after a few days. I made some man happy to eat venison for the next year. But I was scarred emotionally. And at this time of year, when the deer are roaming the streets looking for love, I'm particularly... paranoid. I tell my friends and family... 'watch out for the deer', as if that would stop a crazy eight-point buck from attacking. In spite of my warnings, two of my daughters were subsequently attacked, as deer valiantly bolted from the woods into the sides of their cars!

I know we're not alone in this; auto insurance companies even offer lower 'deductibles' on repair costs from deer attacks, as long as you provide them with some 'fur' as evidence (eeeuuuuuw!).

So why, am I sharing this??? It occurs to me that we daily live our lives as best we can. We're good people, not doing anything 'wrong', and BANG!, something runs into us and wreaks havoc, causes pain, blurs our vision. But it's important to remember we're not alone in this. Soon, a little gecko, or Charro, or Little Richard shows up to remind us about our good auto insurance. Or better yet, it's the words of author, Susan May Warren (from her newsletter), who reminds us of some good life insurance:

"1 Thessalonians 5:24 "He who called you is faithful to do it."
Yes, that verse is talking about perfecting our salvation. But I also think that when God asks us to do something, like be a mom, or run children’s church, or even write a book {or do whatever you do}, He’s already there, providing crayons or patience {or whatever you need}. I don’t know what God is asking of you today, but I pray that you see him providing in surprising, delightful ways that remind you that you are not alone in this. Because, God has your back."

No comments: