Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Joyful, Joyful

So, this past weekend, I finally went Christmas shopping. It's not that I'm so incredibly busy that I couldn't go sooner, or that I'm a scrooge; it's mostly because I am struggling to choose the right gifts for the people on my Christmas List. As I was walking through the various stores on Saturday at the Southside Works, I realized that the gifts I most want for the people on my list are gifts that are out of my power to give. In fact, at the risk of sounding cheesy, 95% of them are gifts that money can't buy, and the other 5% are things that are out of my price range.

My primary reaction to that realization was one of complacency. Yeah, whatever... just buy them something! We went into The Sharper Image store, which I'd never done before, and I was fascinated by some of their merchandise. They had every imaginable iPod accessory, something called a Men's Turbo Groomer (which I hope is just a fancy shaver tho' it didn't look like one), battery operated votive candles that flicker... just like the real thing (??), and an electronic chimpanzee head that moves and squawks and responds to touch... just like the real thing! We actually spent about 10 minutes playing with that one, and for about 3 seconds, I considered buying it because it was... different, and... on sale! Fortunately, my daughter dragged me away because we were, well, drawing a crowd. I really did have fun in that store, though, and even bought something there.

I know that we give gifts at Christmastime to celebrate the birthday of The Savior. And I'm not going to patronize you by trying to explain that. I know that I'll participate in the ritual, finish my shopping, and give the normal gifts. And, I will continue to ask my Father to fill in the gaps for the other gifts I'd give if I could... for the feeble minds and the fragile bodies, for the aching hearts and the hopes deferred, for the plans and the future. I'll do what I can do, and trust that He will do what's best. I was fascinated by a robotic monkey head; He made the real monkey! I choose to overcome my complacency, and rejoice in the fact that the Giver is the Gift. The joy of giving won't come from what I can give, but from what He has already given.

When the 3 Magi came to see Jesus, they brought Him gifts. The Bible says they were overjoyed... they saw the child, they bowed down, and worshiped him; then they opened their treasures. They fell down, worshipped and gave. Me, too.

No comments: