Friday, December 15, 2006

The Big Picture

About 13 years ago, I read the Bible from cover to cover for the first time. It revolutionized my spiritual understanding so much, that I've done it every year since. I don't mention this so that anyone will think, 'Wow, she's so holy!". But I share it because I believe that it's a dynamic that brings about a greater understanding of the 'big picture', and I truly believe it would be a benefit to everyone who reads Scripture.

I began doing this in conjunction with the Quick Study Life Lessons ministry (Ron & Rod Hembree), which provides a daily commentary and schedule for reading. I supplemented my reading with a Bible Commentary... it helped tremendously because it put what I was reading in context with the history of the world, as well as the rest of the Bible. The Bible commentary I started out with was actually one that I had purchased for my children and it was very concise and easy to underdstand (What the Bible is All About for Young Explorers). I eventually graduated to other, more extensive commentaries and other resources, but still refer back to the kid's book sometimes for timelines, etc. Once I understood certain connections between the books of the Bible, later references to events and characters I'd read earlier made so much more sense than just picking it up and reading it out of context. I'd been previously told by well-meaning Christians, that I didn't really need to read the Old Testament. Actually, the Old Testament books are my favorites, and I came to know God, The Father, as a compassionate, patient, loving and awesome God.

I had never known before, for example, that at one time (931 - 722 B.C.), the Jews comprised two separate nations who often opposed one another. I thought Judah and Israel were just two different names for the same group. They aren't, and it makes such a difference to know this when reading the writings of the prophets, for example. I was missing a lot. It also became clear to me that the book of the Revelation completes the promises begun in Genesis and things come full-circle.

One Bible commentator, Henrietta Mears, says that the Bible is not a history of mankind and the world, but it's a history of salvation, and God's relationship with man. Seen from that perspective, it made so much more sense to me.

Our church (Allison Park Church) always kicks the new year off by challenging us to be intentionally disciplined in seeking a deeper understanding of God, and a closer walk with Him. January would be a great time to begin reading the Bible from cover to cover, if you've never done that before. And if you have, try reading it again in a different translation. I intend to.

Some resources: Hayford's Bible Handbook, NIV Bible Commentary (F. F. Bruce, editor), Manners and Customs of the Bible (Packer & Tenny, editors), Followtherabbi.com

No comments: