Tuesday, January 1, 2008

January 1, 2008

And so another year begins! I was just getting used to writing 2007 on my checks ;)

Many traditions and resolutions are associated with the beginning of the new year. Some people bang pots & pans or shoot off guns at the turn of the year to ward off evil spirits. Some people have special menus for their holiday meals... When I was growing up, we always had pork and sour kraut on New Year's Day. It was a tradition, but I'm not sure why.

This brings to mind an interesting fact about pork that Samantha told me recently. She had a course this past term on cultural anthropology, which she really liked. But she shared the tidbit of information that pigs weren't indiginous to the "new world" when the first Spanish explorers met the residents of Latin America. The natives were cannibals, and the new guys felt it was in their best interest to introduce an... alternate meat... for them to enjoy. So, they gave them... the other white meat. While just about everything else in the animal kingdom tastes like chicken, it turns out that in both appearance and taste, pork is most like, uh, ... people.

Who knew?

So anyway, on that note, I wish you a Happy and Blessed New Year. Hope your New Year's Day is filled with fun, football, and food!! I think we're having tuna fish for dinner tonight!

No comments: