Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Superman Don't Need No Airplane

In Exodus 24, there is an amzing account of Moses, Aaron and the 70 elders of Israel sharing a meal with God (v.9-11). God had invited them to 'come up' to him (v.1) in confirmation of His covenant with them. 'There they saw the God of Israel... And though these nobles of Israel gazed upon God, he did not destroy them. In fact, they ate a covenant meal, eating and drinking in his presence!' After that, Moses and Joshua went further up the mountain and stayed for 40 days. The others returned to their camp, and shortly thereafter, they tired of waiting for Moses to return; soon there was the 'sound of singing' round the fiasco of a golden calf.

These guys had just been with GOD! He invited them! They communed with Him face to face! And lived to tell about it! And instead of feeling humbled by His Glory, they brought His glory down to their level and exchanged it for the image of a bull (something they had learned in Egypt). Where did they go wrong? I'd like to think that if I were in their shoes, I'd go back home and be so spiritual. But then again, more likely, I would've been just like them, afflicted with an acute case of spiritual pride, putting God in my box, shaping Him in my image, on my terms.

I read an article recently by John Ortberg about "curing grandiosity". He points out that we all suffer from it at some time or another because it's part of our nature. It's such a temptation to believe our own press clippings, especially when we are doing something 'for God'. Ortberg says, "Fighting the subtle sin of grandiosity means learning from Jesus how to do ministry in a way that draws me toward him. For there was no grandiosity in Jesus at all. That's one reason why people had such a hard time recognizing him."

I want to remember this, and to live it. Spiritual pride is a subtle attack. Coming off a month of prayer and fasting, our church is poised for, and anticipates, a mighty wind of God. I want to remember that it is He who is at work, and that we are joining Him. I am very encouraged and motivated by my pastor, who recently said, "Without Him I can do nothing. That is not an exaggeration. It's a fact. The more I understand that, the more at peace I live. Total dependence is the place to be."

How unlike the story of an incident involving Muhammad ("I am the greatest") Ali. He once allegedly refused to fasten his seatbelt on an airplane, telling the flight attendant, "Superman don't need no seat belt." She is said to have replied, "Superman don't need no airplane."

Psalm 25:9 "He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way."

No comments: