Sunday, February 18, 2007

CleanTown USA


I went to the car wash today. It's so cold here, I hated to do it because they say locks, doors may freeze, etc. But the sun was shining, and my car was so dirty. As I was riding through the car wash on the conveyor belt, I laughed at a memory I had of the first time we took Leah and Ashley through a car wash. They were about ages 4 and 2; we'd thought they'd love it. Nope... they hugged each other and screamed in terror the whole way through. Now, one of Leah's favorite places to visit is... the carwash. Cleantown, USA. Go figure. Ashley, too, has recovered, tho' she joins us in mocking Leah's ardor for Cleantown, USA. What can possibly be so wonderful about a carwash?? CUSTOMER SERVICE.

And, Cleantown, USA really does it right. Even on a day like today, every employee was friendly, courteous, and smiling! They made me feel like they were actually happy to have ice crystals on their eyelashes, just so they could dry MY car. And they don't accept gratuities, so they aren't gushing for tips. When I leave there, I feel like smiling at someone, letting someone cut in line in front of me, or sending someone a Monk-e-mail.

Good Customer Service is a good idea for eveyone. Our church works hard at it, and succeeds, I think. Ministry without mitzvah is ineffective. Good Customer Service doesn't just give 'service', but gives good customers. I am more likely to gravitate toward places that make me feel welcome.

This is important in a personal sense as well as in business. Perhaps you've seen the commercial for Comcast, in which an office worker makes a small, but snide remark to a co-worker, and the domino effect soon results in an all-out office brawl. Comcast implies, of course, that their Internet services would've prevented that. It's a reach. I'm thinking that a kind word, aptly spoken, and a beautiful smile, are much more effective in promoting good will, and actually contributing pleasntness to someone's day. Proverbs 3:17 says, Her ways are ways of pleasantness, And all her paths are peace. There's Wisdom in that!

1 comment:

deana said...

totally agree--about Cleantown and your point about customer service.
i went to Cleantown twice today--once for my car and again w/a friend. i always hedge at paying for a car wash b/c there always seems to be an alternative, but anticipating the atmosphere and employees there makes it worth my money. there's something to be said about the end product being more than a clean car.

good application for us--a life transformation apart from love is a clanging cymbal and who wants to hear that?