Wednesday, February 21, 2007

S.O.A.R.

I was working on a publication last week entitled S.O.A.R. It was a Human Resources project, but seeing the words across the top of the page reminded me of a familiar scripture verse, Isaiah 41:30, which says but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. This was significant to me because over the past 2 months, I've been coming across that verse, but I'm seeing it in a new light.

My familiarity with Isaiah 41:30 had previously focused on the weary part... the need to renew strength 'lost' from disappointments, or during the often long process of waiting on (hoping in) the Lord. I'd sometimes even inwardly cringe when I'd hear someone quote the verse, or I'd kind of skim over it when reading that chapter in my Bible. To me, it wasn't what I'd call a 'faith-builder'. Rather, it described a consequence of hope-deferred.

But over the past several weeks, we've been singing a song in church based upon Isaiah 41:30. And as I've been worshipping, the image of an eagle soaring has repeatedly come to mind. That image almost startled me, but it alerted me that my previous perception was a carry over from the subtle cynicism I've since rejected (Empty Rooms). The image of the magnificent, strong, gliding hawk has now become a new piece of brain furniture!

In his book, Dreaming With God, Bill Johnson says, "Something happens in our time of communion with Him that brings life to our capacity to dream and desire. Our minds become renewed through divine encounter, making it the perfect canvas for Him to paint on." God painted a picture of a soaring eagle in my mind, and it changed my focus and my outlook. My hope and my strength are renewed. Johnson says, "Our dreams are not independent from God, but instead exist because of God. He lays out the agenda... and then releases us to run with it and make it happen."

I think that means soar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Patty.... have you ever been driving down the road and observed a hawk soaring effortlessly on a thermal rise. It is so thrilling that the only response is to pull over and take it all in. TAI