Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Thinking à Latte

I regularly read Mark Batterson's blog. One reason is because I like it,... another is because our daughter and son-in-law are a part of the fellowship. They particularly like attending the services on Saturday evenings at Ebenezer's Coffeehouse.

I've become interested in another church that does ministry from a coffeehouse...
Café Life in St. Etienne, France. A few months ago, my husband received a newsletter from the parent organization, GJMI and I was drawn in. I confess that I don't know anything about the ministry, or even how we got on their distribution list, but I spent a long time reading the websites and the blog of Graham Jones and have requested more information from them. There was a flurry of something in my soul, which I'm still trying to pinpoint, but I'll keep you 'posted':) Jones is British, with a ministry base in France. These are comments from his blog, with some observations on the church in America:

"I have just this week returned from a three week ministry tour in the USA... America is a wonderful place but many churches there suffer from "nice, safe, comfortable Christianity syndrome". It sometimes seems as if churches there compete to be the most comfortable, safe church in town. I would rather have a dangerous church than a comfortable one.

While I was there our church here in France was "visited" by the French FBI and my associate pastor (Jean-Luc) was questioned by them. We think this was because we had a healing service here a few weeks ago... My first reaction was to rush in and see them, shouting about my rights etc. And then I got to thinking about Peter and John when they were hauled before the law for healing. They didnt pray for "wisdom"; their prayer was give us more boldness to get out there again and speak your Word. Signs and wonders got us into this mess........More Lord!

Interestingly enough, he also says, "America, I believe, is on the verge of a third Great Awakening and one of the ways this will be manifested is in His healing power being demonstrated...it will shake the nation." That seems to be a theme coming from several different sources. Wow.
The GJMI website states that France is traditionally one of the hardest places in the world for the Gospel. Less than 0.4% of the population claims to be born again, and the government makes life difficult for evangelical churches. Thirty years ago, when I was there as a student, I was astounded that the family I lived with not only didn't attend church, they couldn't even direct me to one in the vicinity of their home. I hope to go back there, knowing now what I didn't know then.

I hope that those who say the church in the US is poised for a great awakening are right. Otherwise, we may someday soon lament of America with statistics similar to France. If the church here is too fat and comfortable, maybe we need to burn the fat (Lev. 3:16b).

If you know me personally, I'll bet you're thinking right now... "I wonder who is writing Patty's blog today??" Indeed.

No comments: