Sunday, June 10, 2007

Bird's Eye View

I grew up within walking distance of Greater Pittsburgh Airport (it wasn’t “International” then). As kids, we would often walk over on summer days to people-watch. I wasn’t overly impressed by watching planes take off and land… I could do that from my front yard. I remember when I was little, an aunt was visiting us for a week, and the first night of her stay, she came running out of her bedroom in the middle of the night screaming, “A plane is crashing into the house!!! Can’t you hear it?” She was alarmed by the noise of a plane landing nearby and thought surely it would hit the house. I was puzzled, because, well, I didn’t “hear” anything, and wondered what she was yelling about. Funny, how you can get used to the roar of a jet engine, and it doesn’t even startle anymore. What we 'get used to' affects our perspective

There was a cemetery near our home, right under the flight path of the aircraft. My dad would always say, ‘Bury me there, so when you fly in and out of Pittsburgh, you can wave at me ;) “. I know he was kidding, but I just waved...

I’m writing this entry from US Airways Express flight 3507, en route to St. Louis, MO to visit Samantha for her 21st birthday! I won’t be able to post it till I get home, and can access the Internet, but felt like sharing the perspective from ‘up here’. I always look for my childhood home and familiar landmarks, to get my bearings, as I fly over the area in and out of GPIA.

I just saw a FedEx truck travel down a road and stop in front of someone’s house; I know they are about to get a delivery before they do. This got me to thinking that, often times, we are in a situation, and we’re struggling or feeling discouraged, and God’s got the answer on the way… we just can’t see it yet. But soon, the questions are answered, the provision is made, the guidance is delivered, and we breathe again. Soon I’ll be landing, and my perspective will be more limited to what I can ‘see’, but I hope I’ll remember this ‘bird’s eye’ view. There’s always so much more going on in any given situation than I can know.

No comments: